Sunday, March 06, 2005

California Dreamin

Hi Everyone. Yeah I'm California Dreamin here in Bakersfield...dreamin of some sunshine and dry weather. Ok , I shouldn't complain too much cuz it's not snowing and 30 degrees like my friends in Rhode Island or Cleveland. We are only 2 hours from the coast and 4 hours from Vegas. But it's really hard to take a day off when the hospital is calling all the time. I went to Oklahoma this last week for my niece's wedding and their weather was better than here. I was off work for 6 days and the hospital called me 3 times to come in to work. It's nice to be wanted...and it's job security, right? I could stay but the grayness might just kill my good attitude so we are choosing to move on...probably to the bay area. At least the water is right there...and fog burns off.
Mercy Southwest is a cute little place..26 med-surg tele beds and 8 ICU beds. We have a secretary and a monitor tech a charge nurse and 2 nurse techs...nurse patient ratio is 5:1. It's not bad , hard on the nurse techs to have 13 patients. The patient turn over is pretty rapid...los is usually 3 days ER is always full...makes me wonder what these patients did before this ER was open, I guess they sat in someone else's waiting room. The staff nurses are very nice and helpful and grateful for our help. There are quite a few travelers here. The apartment complex I am in boasts population of 150 travelers.
The town of Bakersfield doesn't have a lot to offer that I have found but it is a growing community. There are houses and housing complexes popping up all over the southwest side. We made it over to Pismo Beach for Valentines Day. We enjoyed beautiful sunny weather and rode 4-wheelers on the sand dunes, huh? It was fun and a new adventure. We drove through Morro Bay and reminisced about our time there. We are planning a couple of days in Vegas before we head north early next month.
Still working on getting some picture on this blog so you all can enjoy the scenery with us.

No comments: