Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Napa California

Well, we have moved up to Napa California and so far things are better. Of course we have only been here less than 3 weeks, so I'm still apprehensive. I am working at Queen of the Valley Hospital on 2 North which is a telemetry/step down unit. The orientation was well organized and very helpful ,unlike some I have endured. I had a 2 day orientation..one day on my floor and one day in ICU..why ICU I have no idea. I am not an ICU nurse nore do I aspire to be. Way too much going on there and way too many tubes. I also don't think I like the Step Down unit idea either...at this hospital the patients on step down can have multiple drips, vent or art line...not my cup of tea. The staff for the most part is very helpful. In orientation they actually said that "At the Queen of the Valley we speak English." Yeah it sounded nice but of course once you are really out there it's not so...especially on night shift. Yes, I am doing night shift for a couple of weeks just to get my foot in the door and out of the bad situation in San Pablo. It should only be one more week and it is killing me. I am tired all the time. Hats off to all you night shift people who only work nights, I'm glad you are there. The weather here in Napa has been excellent sunny and not to warm but just warm enough. The vineyards offer hot air balloon rides at sunrise so in the mornings when I leave work I can see them in the sky...really spectacular. We opted for the housing allowance and so far it has worked to our advantage. We found a nice small, older complex that is very close to the hospital. We haven't done much sightseeing yet what with being on nights and all but will keep you updated when we do. As always...first do no harm.

No comments: