Saturday, February 04, 2006

Crab Feed

Well, I'm glad that's over. As all my despite friends say,I'm back from the dark side. Well,sort of, I worked my last night shift Friday night and had to work day shift on Sunday. So Saturday was really weird, almost like not a day off at all. The shift thing just has to do with your body's clock I guess. You are either a day person or a night person and the first time you work the wrong shift, your body will tell you. Some people get nauseous, some people get crabby,me, I just sleep all the time when I work nights. So, hopefully I'm done. If my boss asked me again to do it for a short period of time I would probably agree, because I see my role here as helping out the unit. Plus no matter what the night shift says they are not as busy as the dayshift, most nights.
The rain seems to have stopped for the time being here in Napa. The big blue sky I remember is back, it's still a little cool but that will change as well. I went to a crab feed Saturday, kind of a funny name. Being from the Midwest I would have called it a fest..like Octoberfest, Perchfest, but here they call it a feed. The crab was from Bodega Bay, I guess it's crab season here because there is a crab feed almost every Friday and Saturday this month. It was well worth the $45 admission fee for all you can eat crab...not just the legs cuz they aren't Alaskan King Crab, their legs were pretty scrawny. The one we attended was at a High School in the Gym. We sat at long tables with plastic plates and silverware. Some of the more experienced crab feeders brought real glasses to drink their wine from. I was lucky enough to sit with Sue who brought a pound of drawn butter and little butter warmers...it's not what you know...it's who you know. Everyone brought a bottle of wine to share, most of us had to drink out of the little plastic cups that were supplied on the table. Luckily plastic doesn't spoil the taste of the wine, only the appearance. (and if you drink it quick no one will be the wiser...lol) It was a nice time with some of my friends from the Queen. We are planning a trip to Carmel next month...I promise more pictures! Take care all and remember,Primum non nocere!

1 comment:

The new Third Degree Nurse said...

I love the idea of getting to sample the local customs/cuisine.

I'm wondering what you do when you have an assignment you really hate, though. Tough it out? Get reassigned?