Saturday, January 28, 2006

Night shift



This is the sign for my favorite winery. I didn't have the pictures downloaded to my computer when I did my last blog. It was a pretty day but there was no great angle to get the sign.

My roommate's husband came home from the hospital today. He is doing much better thank goodness. He's going to be hard to keep down which is good and bad. I think he might overextend himself. Luckily his daughter is here to keep an eye on him while his wife and I are at work.

Nights has been ok to deal with. I worked 3 12's this week and I was scheduled for tonight but they put me on call...which is rare, then at 10 they called to give me the rest of the night off. I'm still scheduled for tomorrow, which is good. I need 4 12's a week to meet my goal. Always have a goal, otherwise what are you working toward, right? The last night I worked I took care of a very nice old gentleman. I can call him old because he was over 80. He told me how nice I was and asked if I could just sit with him awhile. It was about 3am and I had just been doing my rounds checking on all my patients when he asked me. So, I pulled up a chair and held his hand while he talked for a few minutes. He was very nice and just wanted some company. It's very nice with the nurse-patient ratios here in California, I can afford to give my patient's that kind of time. Those are the times I love being a nurse, I guess they are the times that keep me going. I also had another patient that night who was a retired nurse...she also had a touch of Alzheimers. She must have asked me 10 times where I went to nursing school, not to mention the other 100 times she asked me why she was there, where she was, where her husband was...it was a long night. She had a sitter because she kept playing with her I.V. and trying to get out of bed even though we told her she couldn't because she had just had a cardiac catheterization and was flat on bedrest for 6 hours...she said she was a nurse and she knew what she was doing and she didn't need her I.V. any more or to have a sitter. It's sad really, I hope to never become that way, if I get confused I want to be pleasantly confused. The poor sitter was there for the whole 12 hours, she really earned her keep that night.

Remember the mantra...first do no harm

No comments: