Sunday, July 16, 2006

Answers


Well it's nice to know people are reading my blog. Sometimes I think I'm just babbling to myself to get it off my chest. Thanks for reading and putting up some comments.
I do love the new nurses and nurses- to- be that read. It's so great to have a dream and have it come to be. Please, all of you new nurses and those struggling through nursing school...please continue, I don't want to work forever!!! It's not as bad as nursing school, I promise. Anyway, an I & D is an incision and drainage...see how we can make it sound not so ugly by just saying the first letters of the procedure... we do it a lot. ORIF...open reduction internal fixation. TURP transurethral resection of prostate.(Oh, just an aside the word is proSTATE not prostrate...two different animals.) LAVH laproscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy.
The house pictured is the famed Winchester home in San Jose California. It is a lot prettier than the picture shows. See how blue and pretty the sky is way inland from the coast? So deceiving!!!!
I also appreciate the input about finding another avenue of work. I have done that, even while getting paid. I have done mental health and pre-op as well as ambuatory surgery...and it was great..I would go there anytime. At least there you have a definite time that you will go home..not like med-surg when you think you are going home and a patient needs something or your co-worker needs help or you need to finish charting. Just ask my poor husband who waits patiently(most of the time) everyday for me to come out of work. My shift ends at 7:15 and most of the time I am out by 7:30 but some days it's 7:45. Really bad days it's 8:00. Unfortunately it's not like a bank where we can close the door and no one else gets served...not for me anyway. I can't leave knowing the next nurse won't be in with pain meds for at least a half hour. Maybe that comes from living with someone with back pain all my life. That's just how I operate.It's still a great job.
The process has begun to find a new job and a new home. That's my husband's job...he's the travel coordinator. It might be San Diego, it might be Phoenix, it might be Cleveland (go tribe)...I'll let you know. Keep your fingers crossed for something in good weather for the next 3 months..that's as far ahead as I'm willing to look. Can you imagine? Kind of like nursing school...knowing you just have to make it through that next semester or quarter....
First do no harm.

No comments: