Saturday, July 29, 2006

The end result


This is a view of the marine layer coming into the Salinas Valley. Just south of Gilroy CA. It was sunny with blue skies and 70 degrees in Gilroy and 66 in Salinas under a layer of gray marine layer. We had a wonderful couple of days in Reno with our traveler friends. We had a great conversation this morning before we left. It was funny, we were discussing how we had decided to becoming traveling nurses and how glad we were we had. We mostly talked about how most people work all year and get a week or maybe 2 off and they have to plan it around everyone else's vacation. We remembered those days and sighed.
I am done in Salinas this week. It has been a great time. I loved working at this hospital. The staff was great, so friendly and helpful. The physicians were caring and approachable.
This week I got to visit the ER after one of my psych patients went off. She was running down the hallway screaming and had a nursing assistant and a housekeeper against a wall. I was trying to keep her from leaving the unit and she lashed out and scratched both my hands. It took 2 security guards, 2 male ER nurses and a couple of other male staff members to take her down. I don't like psych patients on a med surg unit. The doctors and staff don't know how to handle them...I went through the PACT training and learned some of the ways to protect myself but it didn't come to mind that day. It all happens so fast, it's amazing. I ended up with just a big bruise on my hand but it's something to remember Salinas by.
As for my patient from the last blog, after I picked my jaw up off the floor and held back my laughter, I said "not with this" and pulled the straw out of his penis. At least I caught him before he had inserted it any further, it was only in about a half an inch. I had to tell his resident (new doctor) about the incident and asked if he would tell the patient not to put anything else in his penis. I'm pretty sure it was the first time he heard that. The story ends well, he was discharged 2 days later on antibiotics and voiding well.
Well, we leave Salinas in a couple of days and I still don't have a job. I have been submitted to the Cleveland Clinic but haven't had an interview yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will let you know where we end up.
Remember, first do no harm.

No comments: