Sunday, November 19, 2006

I guess we are human

Hi all. It's been a tough week. One of the fantastic nurses I work with was killed in a tragic accident. It hit me like a lead balloon. This guy I had just seen 3 or 4 days before, someone you expect to be there, just won't be there any more. I know, we in the medical field deal with death all the time, but this time it's personal. This was a great nurse, I think he had been there at Good Sam for almost 20 years. He was one of the go-to guys, somebody who knew everything, or at least had an answer for you. If you needed a hand, he'd help you. His passion was hunting and Army stuff. He actually was supposed to go deer hunting last weekend. Just hard to believe he won't be back. There is a memorial service on Monday and I volunteered to work so some of the people who worked with him for years could go. The hard part is that no one is saying what happened, just that it was a tragic accident. Even the obituary was short and to the point, so you all know how the rumor mill is in a hospital. There are so many rumors about what happened, it would just be better if we knew what happened. I have not been a part of the rumor making or passing on. I think he deserves better than that and I tell the people who come to me with rumors the same thing. Hopefully next week is better, and I pray the law of 3's doesn't come this time. Remember first do no harm.

1 comment:

The new Third Degree Nurse said...

So sorry to hear that. Especially the loss of a good nurse and a good person. Hang in there.