Sunday, January 11, 2009

Close to home

Like the title says, I have some family issues, and they are hitting close to home. One of my family members is headed to the cath lab for a cardiac cath. Now I can really put myself on that side of the bed. I am used to being the one coming in and reviewing what the doctor told them, answering any questions and sending them off to the cath lab. I am also used to getting people back from the cath lab and doing the normal stuff, checking their vitals, checking their pulses, checking their groin site...I guess I will see what it feels like to not be in control of anything. Nurses really are, or become control freaks, I think. Ok.Maybe it's just me, but if I am in control of a situation I can 99% control the outcome. That makes me calm and confident...and a control freak. If I am not in control (i.e. things don't go the way I planned them) then I'm irritable and I snap at everyone around me. Yeah, I got issues. I just hope I can be a calming force when I am with my family member during this procedure, because I won't be in control of anything.
On a lighter, happier note my nephew should be headed back from Iraq early this spring and I am so happy about that! I hope he gets the chance to stay stateside for a long time!

No comments: