Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Coming home

As most of my readers know my nephew is in Iraq right now, and has been since early last year...I am happy to say he will be joining us back here stateside within the next 2 months. I am happy and relieved that he has been safe and admire his dedication and all the sacrifices he has made for our country. Wonder what he thinks of is new boss?
The cardiac cath I went to Oklahoma for went well, no complications. The new diagnosis and changes in lifestyle were a little difficult to get across at first but, I think they will do just fine. The number of Americans with coronary artery disease is rising everyday. I take care of these people everyday, and everyone says the same thing. I don't eat that bad and I just need to exercise more. Ok, there are other risk factors, some you can control, some you can't. Yes, you will most likely have to take medication for the rest of your life...many studies have been done to prove the efficacy of this routine. But, you are ultimately right, diet changes (low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium) and the addition of exercise will only have a positive impact on your life. Sorry, guess I'm just tired of taking care of people who drink excessively, and smoke and don't exercise. I don't like exercise either, but...I know what will happen if I don't.
Work has been ok. The day of the Superbowl was less quiet than I thought. I figured I would get all my work done before it started and people would just watch the game..no really so, they still wanted their beverages and ice and pain meds. The downtown hospital was actually a little slow, they closed one pod (15 beds), guess nobody felt sick that weekend. The worst part were all the people wanting to go home to watch the superbowl. I actually had a patient who was in with severe vertigo, like she couldn't even walk to the bathroom without help and she bugged me all morning about going home for the superbowl. The doctor came in and tried to walk her and said no way...it ended up she couldn't even watch the superbowl on the tv because she was so dizzy it was making her sick. People.
The weather is getting warmer...78 degrees today...and sunny. Sorry all you Northeasterners...non noc nocere.

No comments: