Monday, September 06, 2004

Labor Day

Hello there and Happy Labor Day...are we celebrating the fact that we work? Not really sure what Labor day is all about other than another day off for the banks and schools. So why do they send your kids to school and then give them a long weekend...is it to ease them in to going to school again? I never did understand that. I grew up in the small town of Novelty, Ohio in Geauga county. A lot of the kids I went to school with didn't start school until after Labor day because of the county fair...they had to be there with the rest of the family and their animals...I grew up in the country. No, I didn't grow up on a farm but I knew a lot of people who did and we did have a little farm across the road from where I grew up. The good old days before holiday time and double overtime. No, I am not working this holiday most hospitals don't want to pay time and a half for travelers on the holidays except the big ones. They always seem to want us to work Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Guess I can't blame them. That's why I negotiate my contract before I sign. My next contract should take me to Christmas and I'll work Thanksgiving for Christmas off. We'll see what happens. Still no word yet where we are off to. California seems short on the dayshift at the moment so we are considering Arizona as an alternative. Any feed back for me about the desert state would be appreciated. Take care and as always...first do no harm.

1 comment:

JLeonard said...

I worked labor day too. At least it was time and a half. To go along with the 32 other hours of OT I have done this week. Still looking for an assignment towards home. But not so much luck. PRN at old hosital is looking better and better.