Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Agency nursing

I am so irritated. Sometimes this agency travel thing just gets to me. I still think it's better than a staff position in the long run but, it can be so irritating. First, this travel agency I am working for seems to be staying true to their word. Just remember to read every line of your contract and you should probably either read it and put it down for a while and pick it back up with fresh eyes or have someone else read it as well. My contract is actually for 14 weeks... I called my recruiter to see if it was a mistake, she said no, it's to help you get all your hours in because sometimes you don't get them all the first week. Well, I did, can I leave a week early? Probably not...so much for this stupid company. They all have their little things, they are all a little different, not always in a good way.
Next, I signed up with Nurse Finders when I got here. I told them where my contract was and they said no problem they had plenty of work for me. I have worked with them one day. It turns out, all the shifts they have are at the hospital I am contracted at and I can't work there for 2 companies. They put me at an adolescent psych facility which is so not where I am qualified to work. Today they called me to work there. I told them fine but I am not going to do a med pass, if that's what they need then I am not going. I don't know if y'all know what a med pass at a psych facility is but let me try to explain. You are locked in a little room with your med book. You have a tray that you put all your cups in and fill them with the meds. So, the checking the name band as a second check and asking their birthday, or even telling them what they are taking is out the window. There is a picture of each person that you put by their cup so you know who to give the pills to. Then you either open a little drive thru type window or open a half of a door and then your announce that it's medication time. They all file up to the door for their pills. Now, they aren't patient, they don't care if it's your first time, in fact, they will mess with you and tell you they are someone else and not take their pills or spit them out just to mess with ya. Also, if one of them goes off and needs a shot or some extra meds, it's the med nurse who administers it. Not to mention the fact that all the doors are locked and you have to watch who is behind you because they will try to escape. So, the agency was not happy with me and won't put me at that facility because I won't put myself in that position. I tried to call and talk with the office manager to explain that maybe they don't understand my position and that I was irritated that they had said they had plenty of work and it turns out that they don't. They said it was my unwillingness to go where they had shifts...I told them I guess I need to find work elsewhere. I am not willing to risk my license for a couple extra bucks.Why didn't they just tell me they couldn't help me when I went there...before they bothered my references, and I spend my time and money to drive to their office and take their tests. It is very aggravating and it seems to happen a lot. It has happened in every city that I have tried to get work except Oklahoma City and Phoenix.
Ok, I'm done, I feel a little better. Just be sure to check the fine print and don't be afraid to ask questions. Remember, the agencies are working for you, you are making them money and don't let them tell you what you can do. Know your limits and stick to what you are comfortable with because they probably won't stand behind you if you get stuck. They are in this purely to make money, we are here to help people and secondly make money. Remember first do no harm.

1 comment:

JLeonard said...

Yeah the fine print can really kill you. SO other than that how is everything going for you? Hope life is treating you kind. Jim