Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Only in the south

I was at work the other day, looking at the cafeteria menu, and I thought wow, I don't remember seeing these things on any cafeteria menu before. Things like grilled cheese with tomatoes and bacon, turnip greens, collard greens,and kale. Also lots of smothered stuff and meat with gravy. Of course no breakfast is complete without sausage gravy on biscuits, corned beef hash and baked apples...baked apples, that was a new on on me. Makes me think they are trying to get the staff to become patients with their heart unhealthy diet.
I met a new traveler the other day. I heard from my recruiter that she was coming, she's working night shift. She is living here at the apartment complex I discovered. I think she would have left if she had gone to the hotel they were offering us. It used to be something else and now it's a suburban extended stay...pretty old and dated and no pets allowed. She's really young and it's her first travel assignment. That's what I hate about these travel companies...they don't consider the whole picture. I don't think you should send a young white girl from a small town to an inner city hospital. She was scared to death when she drove up on the hospital...the projects are right down the street. A lot of houses surrounding the hospital are boarded up. She was outside the other night with some other nurses having a smoke, heard what she thought were firecrackers going off...the other nurses put out their smokes and told her to get inside that she was hearing gun fire not firecrackers. Things like that will make her think twice about traveling again. It's a good thing the nurses and other hospital personnel are so nice or she probably would have left by now. Just amazes me how little thought most recruiters put into assigning nurses. This hospital is for experienced travelers who have seen this part of the world before, she needed a little more mellow hospital to start, not the middle of the inner city. Maybe on her next assignment or the one after that this place would have been ok. I'm sure her Mom was not happy about leaving her here after she saw the hospital either. Just glad we found a nice quiet place to live.
Hope all is well in your world....remember first do no harm.

5 comments:

JLeonard said...

Ah thank goodness the newbies have the more experienced to help them out. Granted this is only my second assignment, but after working the trauma center in Memphis, I don't thing there is much to fear anymore. Turn her on to the blog thing. There are lots of us out here that can offer words of encouragement.

JLeonard said...

Oh and talking about the menu at the cafeteria and the choices. Of course on the night shift here the cafe is closed. So we order out. ALOT!! I have found that I am seriously addicted to green chillies. Shoot you can even get them on a cheeseburger at McDonalds.

TravelingNurse said...

I did not know you could get green chillies at McDonalds...

JLeonard said...

I guess its a SW thing. Ain't got that in the south thats few sure!

JLeonard said...

Ok am gonna have to flog you a little bit here. You are being very lax in posting. I understand that you are busy, but your friends and family do miss your musing on the vagaries of life. Don't make me force feed you a bowl of tamales and grits!