Saturday, August 04, 2007

Rehab #1

Well, as you can tell, I have been a little busy. For instance, last weekend I worked Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Got on a plane Monday, which was delayed and forced me to miss my connecting flight in Cleveland. Luckily my husband loves to drive and made it to Cleveland shortly after I landed. Then we drove the 2 hours back to Columbus to the mortgage guys office to sign some papers. Then we went and visited my Uncle, the one who had surgery for his stomach cancer...he is doing very well. Then back to my brothers house to visit and sleep. The next morning we got up early because the sheriff was supposed to come and remove the renters from the house next to our rehab...but, it didn't happen. Columbus has a lot of foreclosures and the sheriff's office is overwhelmed. From there we went to our closing...only about a half hour or 45 minutes of signing papers. It's really hard to sign your name the same that many times in a row. Then we had some lunch and went to the new house...we cleaned a little put up a new porch light and changed the door locks. I'm so lucky to have a brother with skills...the door lock we bought didn't fit the hole that was made so, he went to his truck and got out his jig and drill and made it fit. Of course he had to use his half inch drill and of course it caught a couple of times and tried to rip his arm off. What fun would it be if it didn't? The my husband and nephew pulled down the awful wall paper..it's so old it came off in sheets...only thing left on the wall was some old glue. Then we got up the next morning and drove back to Virginia so I could go to work the next day. A little hectic but, oh so much fun....I'm so happy to be doing this rehab. Ok, I won't get to "do" most of it, but I will be seeing the work in progress via the internet.
Work has been interesting. There's a new sheriff in town...no just kidding ...they have an interim administrator who has decided to make some changes. No more per diems, we now daily have 6 or 7 patients, with 2 techs for 30 patients. They decided not to cancel the travel contracts...I don't know how I feel about that, I wouldn't have minded leaving but now they are giving me some extra shifts since the agency people are gone. It's not a pretty time. There's a lot of complaining and the nurses who were already pretty burned out are talking about leaving. I don't see this hospital staying open much longer...although no one else in the city wants the patients who come here, so, the other hospitals may keep it open for that reason. I'm just glad, once again, to be able to walk away from a bad situation before it gets worse. I try to be as positive as always knowing I don't have to stay and deal with the stupid changes that administrators make. It really makes me appreciate the good hospitals I have been in. That's why I do what I do. I will be updating you all on our progress and the hunt for a new job as well.September is just around the corner...thank goodness.
Remember first do no harm.

2 comments:

JLeonard said...

The house has great potential from what you can tell from the pic. Hopefully it well be a good learning experience for you. Be leavign for Oregon next week. Close on our house today. Yahoo! At least I will have a true home base.

TravelingNurse said...

Congrats on the house..thought it fell through?