Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Hot and Humid

What is with this heat? Wow, the humidity here is just stifling. The kind where you walk outside and can't catch your breath. Good thing the hospital is letting me work some overtime...I get to use their air conditioning instead of mine...lol. This week has been brutal so far, 6 and 7 patients, no charge nurse and only 1 or 2 techs for 25 to 30 patients. The acuity is really high as well...then on my worst day ever they messed up staffing and a nurse who they thought was supposed to be there, didn't show. I didn't get to leave until 8:45. I had no words to describe it...I had a horrible day then my relief doesn't show...They are still using agency per diem nurses because their own staff is burned out, but they are not using as many. I have 5 shifts this week and next...if they allow me to work them all. I know Uncle Sam will be happy if they do.
Work is progressing slowly at our rehab because of the heat. Heating and A/C will be the first thing to be completed. I think we might be one of the only houses on the street to put in central air. Hopefully it will be a big help when it comes to renting the place.
I have begun the hunt for my next assignment to Phoenix. I called a couple of companies but I think I will go with the one I worked with last time. They have the best hourly rate and make the process so simple. I think this assignment has burned me out on trying new places for a little while. I also have had enough of nursing on this side of the Mississippi. Not that I can't handle a patient load of 6 or 7 or more but, I don't want to when I know I don't have to. All the hospitals talk about 5 star service and patient satisfaction, blah blah blah...how is it possible when you have 6 or 7 patients? What about nurse satisfaction? No one talks about that.
Remember first do no harm.

No comments: