Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rain...

The bathroom is coming together...I wish I was there to help...I would much rather do that than work overtime here. But, that is my lot in life. I worked 6 days last week and back to 3 this week, cuz I get to go and see my house (oh yeah and my husband...lol). It will be a 5 day trip...a good reward for my hard work.
Work has been busy as always. A couple of codes last week and hopefully I'll get out without one this week. You know it's not gonna be good when they call a code and everyone just looks around at everyone else...instead of heading for where the code is. Needless to say, they didn't turn out too well, but it got me thinking about my ACLS again. Which, is really good because I'll have to take a test when I get to Phoenix. Yeah, not only a rhythm and med test but a physical test too. it caught me off guard last time, but not this time, I'm gonna be ready. I have to do the dreaded 3 minute step test...do you all remember that from what High school? Yeah, last time I almost passed out, not this time...yes I am actually practicing. It's pretty good cardio.
Amazingly there is one patient who has been at the hospital since I got here...about 3 weeks shy of 3 months...and there's no plan for her to go anywhere. It's weird, but, it's not the first time I have encountered this. Some hospitals just can't get rid of their worst patients, they are always the sickest, and I always seem to have to take care of them ...a lot. Maybe it's because the regular staff is just in need of a rest from them...but, I need a rest too. You hear a lot of people talk under their breath..she makes the big bucks, let her take care of them. That's what I hear most often...the funny thing is I don't tell anyone what I make, it's just their guess. It's funny they don't think about the down side of traveling. You are away from all your friends and loved ones. You don't have your stuff, only a small portion of it. You can be cancelled, heck your contract can be cancelled and then where are you left? The company might be able to find you a new contract unless they are the ones who cancelled you. Then you only have 48hr to move out of your apartment, how many people do you know who could move out in 48hr? There are some down sides...I wish I didn't have to ad getting the rotten patients and the first admission and the extra patient but, I do. It happens. But, I'll take it all knowing I get to leave in 3 months and hope the next place is better.
This time I know it will be...any weather out west beats this east coast stuff!!
I'll let ya know how my trip is and I'll take lots of pictures. As they say down here in good old Richmond Community Hospital...Holla at a sista....and remember first do no harm.

1 comment:

JLeonard said...

Yeah it's amazing the amount of crap some hospitals dump on their travelers. When I worked staff, I knew that the agency folks made more than me. But I was also glad to see them there, they took some of the pt load off of me. great think about traveling is that its only 13 weeks and gone. Hang tight...Will soon be over.