Monday, August 21, 2006

On the road again

Well, it has been an interesting few weeks. I actually worked about 3 days total since I left Salinas. The Cleveland Clinic didn't come through for me. The interview I was expecting the first week of August just never came. I finally called another company...Banner travel. They are the travel division of a healthcare company that owns several hospitals in the west Arizona, Colorado,California,Alaska, Wyoming and Nevada. It was incredible. I went online last Tuesday, filled out the application and sent an email. On Wednesday I called the company that had my application in with The Cleveland Clinic, they told me that because my ACLS was not from American Heart Association that the Clinic would probably not even interview me. They wanted to know if I could get my ACLS renewed with American Heart before I started work. I lost it. It had been 2 weeks with no paycheck and a 4 day 2500 mile trip across the country and now they want me to pay another $250 for ACLS class? I was furious. Luckily I got a call from Banner, they offered me a job on the first phone call, I declined until I knew which Banner facility I would be working at. 10 minutes after they posted my profile to all the Banner facilities I got a call from Good Samaritan in Phoenix. They asked me how I liked their facility the last time I was there (2004), I told them I liked it and that I had learned a lot. They asked me what shift I wanted and when I could start...I was amazed. I got a phone call 10 minutes later from the travel division and they offered me a job with a raise in 2 weeks, healthcare starting the first of the month with dental and vision, a one bedroom furnished apartment, travel money and a completion bonus. About 6 pm that evening I got a call with my new address and phone numbers for cable and electric. WOW. Now that is how it should work.
So, I got on a plane this evening and landed in Phoenix at 6pm. My husband will be taking his time to get out here, no 12 hour 750 mile days, unless he really misses me. The flight was pretty much uneventful until we got close to Phoenix. It's monsoon season out here I guess. The sky was almost black when I left the airport headed for my rental car. Great....I haven't driven since I was in Napa and here I am in Phoenix in monsoon season....yeah. At least I got a cute car...a Jeep Liberty...a little better than what I thought I'd end up with...I am paying for it though, this company doesn't provide a rental car...which is ok I only need it a couple of weeks til my driver gets out here.
The really great thing is that my nephew is out here. He's been here since February going to motorcycle school. It will be nice to spend some time with him. Well, I need to settle in for the night. Wish me luck with the weather. Remember First do no harm.

No comments: