Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Christmas in Vegas


So, I got to spend Christmas in Las Vegas. One of the reasons I work so hard all year. It was fun. We got to see all the sights, all the Christmas decorations. This is the Christmas tree in the botanical gardens at the Bellagio. They always have a spectacular display. The crowds were massive but, it was worth it. We saw the trees in front of Caesars Palace and the one on Fremont street. The fountains at Bellagio were set to Christmas music and the weather was perfect. We also got to see them take down the tree on Fremont street the next morning. Amazing how all of a sudden it's over and life goes back to normal. Why does it? Why not have that feeling all year. After all it's a feeling in your heart, isn't it?
Yeah, I'm a dreamer.
I heard it was pretty awful at work. Not enough nurses and all the sickest patients of course. Hats off to all the great people who worked that day and spent it away from their families. I have had to do it many times. It's really hard for the new nurses especially if they didn't work in a hospital setting before or during school. Most families don't understand. I remember so well... trying to explain to my friends why I couldn't go out on New Years Eve or to my new husband why we couldn't spend Christmas together. It's a whole new world...one that not many people understand. It's unfortunate because it adds just a little more stress to the holiday season and the new nurses life.
I returned from Vegas and had one more day off then it was 5 in a row. I couldn't have made it through that last day without the help of my friend and co-worker Mike. We laughed and joked through out the day and made it through. Thanks Mike.
This time of year is also when the travelers contracts are ending, usually right before or after the holidays..it's weird it just seems to work out that way. It's odd to stay on and see them leave when I am usually leaving too. My friend Christie is headed to Bakersfield. I wish travelers would talk to each other more before they make their decisions. She is headed to Mercy hospital..I worked there a couple of times before I went to Mercy Southwest...it was very busy and not terribly friendly. Hopefully things have changed and she has a great time. My friend Madessa was headed to Columbus so we will catch up to each other later this spring. And Carolyn, lucky dog, is headed back to Hawaii today. She was great to work with. She mentioned that she is writing a book about travel nursing... I wish her all the luck and if there is anything I can contribute...let me know.
The hospital is still filled with the really sick left over from the holidays, so the days are not so easy. Hopefully we will get a little relief soon, but not likely with the full moon. It was on the 3rd I believe so, we have 3 more days of craziness, woohoo! I know people don't believe it but, it is true, crazy things happen when there is a full moon. So, I have that to look forward to.
The other thing is my traveler friends Jeannie and Don are planning to come to Phoenix. They are currently in sunny, humid West Palm Beach Florida. The gambling is not so good there so they are headed this way next month. I can't wait!!!!! We had a great time here in Phoenix last time and a lot of fun in Napa. It's funny how sometime you meet people and stay in touch forever and some people you really like and want to keep in touch with don't make the effort. Weird huh?
Well, hopefully I'll have a great story next time from this full moon time. Remember, first, do no harm.

No comments: