Sunday, January 07, 2007

The first week of the new year


Ya gotta love that sign..it just exudes fun. Hopefully a sign of what is to come for the new year...fun. The first week was full of work for me. 5 days this past week...not in a row, but I could have if I had wanted to. The last 2 days were pretty exciting. Friday I discharged all 4 of my patients...I just love when that happens, NOT. Yeah because most jobs if you finish all your work you get to go home, right? Not in the hospital, we'll just find you more patients. I'm not complaining, I like to work and make money. I prefer days when I don't have to work so hard though. 3 of my patients went home and I sent one poor soul to the ICU for Cpap.She came in with pneumonia, a chronic copd patient, she just waited too long to come in and what we were doing wasn't helping. She had gotten her lasix and steroids and antibiotics but by noon she was on a venturi mask at 28% with a pulse ox of 90....not good, plus she was really sleepy. All that equals increased CO2 retention and someone who is quickly losing the drive to breathe. I called the resident who ordered ABG's and a trip to the ICU. Hopefully she will be back soon. Saturday I only sent one person home and got one from the ICU and then transferred another one to another tele unit due to staffing issues. Yeah, it always seemed to come at the end of the shift. My patient,who spoke very little English was so nice about moving.That made it all better. Attitude is everything.
So, I survived the first full moon of the year. It was pretty mild for me, thank goodness, as always with a little help from my friends. I can't tell you enough how much it means to be a good team player. I do my work and help my co-workers, including transporters and secretaries , even my nursing assistants. A lot of people beg to differ with me on that last one but, a kind word or a little assistance goes a long way to making you have a good day. You've been there, walk on the floor and you can feel the aura depending on who is working that day. You have to be a little in tune to it, but it doesn't take long. And any one person has the ability to uplift the mood on the unit, if even for a moment, it can make the difference between a good day and one of "those" days. It does take energy and a desire to do it but it's worth the effort most days. If you have the energy.
Remember, first do no harm.

No comments: