Monday, January 29, 2007

Just another day

So, it's been a long week. Not really a difficult one since I had an extra set of hands this week. First I got a new nurse from the Phillipines that worked with me. His regular preceptor was out sick. He's doing very well. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to move to a new country to find work. Then over the weekend I had a nurse with me who is getting back into hospital nursing. That was really easy. Now, finally a few days off to rest.
I went to the uniform store last week and was looking for skirts. I know, don't pass out or anything. Nurses used to were skirts all the time. The store I went to had one style, in 2 colors. Wow, no dresses either. So, I bought the skirts and wore them to work. It was an amazing response. Everyone stared like they had never seen a skirt before. One transporter actually said,"I didn't know they made uniform skirts!" Pretty funny. I actually was more comfortable and no it didn't restrict my movement at all. I'm suprized more people out here in Arizona don't wear them. Just throwing it out there to remind you all that you have a choice.
I worked with a traveler yesterday that I recognized. I thought maybe I worked with her there at Good Sam but, it turns out we worked on the same floor on my first assignment in Denver in 2001. Small world, huh? We talked about where we had been. She actually went to NYC and worked days as a med-surg nurse. 8-1 patient ratio....crazy. She said she had run into another nurse at Good Sam who also had worked at St.Joe's in Denver. It just made me think of how lucky I am to be able to do what I do. To travel across the country and work and meet all kinds of people and see things many people will never see. Some of the people I work with have never been outside of Arizona. Many people have been more places than I have been as well,but I feel very fortunate. Maybe that's why I can remain so positive at work, I really do enjoy what I do and my life as well. I don't think there are a lot of people out there who feel the same. I hear a lot of complaining, I just try not to add to it. Remember............. first do no harm.

No comments: