Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mistakes



Can't wait for the drive...ok, I really can, but I'm ready to go. My husband has his own personal style of driving and thinks no one else know how to drive. I find it rather annoying but, at least I don't have to drive. I am really not thrilled this time because once again we have a trailer full of stuff to travel behind us. Oh, and not to mention the lovely rise in gas prices. We figure it will cost about $500.00 just in gasoline to get from Arizona to Ohio. Sounds great, huh? Not to be out done by the fact that I don't have a job yet. Ah, the joys of traveling. The above picture was taken somewhere in California, I hate to see these especially when we are pulling a trailer.

So, I had an orientee again this past weekend. He's a nice guy, not the same guy as last time. His English is not the best, and I think I might intimidate him a little. He was looking for one of the patients Med records, I accidentally handed him a different book than the one he wanted. He administered the medication and unfortunately did not follow the 5 rights. Now, don't think that I was not doing my job. This guy is on his last week or 2 of his orientation. He has a nursing license, he has been administering medication for weeks by himself. But, he gave the wrong pills to the wrong patient, he went in the room with the medication record and claims he even looked at her name band and still gave her the wrong meds. I made sure he went right back in the room to assess the patient and take her vital signs. She was fine thank goodness. It wasn't all bad, some of the meds she got were actually right. Some were the right meds but the wrong dose. I reminded him that we are all human and not machines, we do occasionally make mistakes , we just hope no one gets harmed because of it. I had him call the doctor, but, due to his poor English I spoke with the doctor and told him what had happened. Luckily, nothing untoward happened and the patient never knew. When he went back in to administer some medications she needed and hadn't received she didn't ask why she didn't get them earlier. I would have told her they were not available earlier if she had asked. I know how it sounds, like I'm lying right? No, I am preserving the nurse patient relationship. If she had known that he had made a mistake she would not have trusted him the rest of the day. Plus he felt bad enough. I guarantee he will check every name band against every medication record from now on, probably twice. I told him that the way to stay out of trouble is to admit your mistakes, follow protocol and most of all monitor your patient for untoward reactions. It's the worse feeling in the world to know you made a mistake, I try to avoid them by following protocols and safety measures put into place. I always check my patients name bands against the medication record right there in the room. I check my meds 3 times, once when I get them together , again before I go in the room and a third time as I am opening the packages and giving them to the patient. That's why I hated giving meds at the psych hospital. They don't follow any of those rules, you can't even get most of the patients to tell you their name, plus they won't wait for you to sit there and open all the packages, so, you don't get that check. So, as I always say, first do no harm.

No comments: