Wednesday, April 09, 2008

More days off

This tomb is in Papago park next to the Phoenix zoo...it is a great place to look out over the city...especially at sunset. It was one of our stops with my niece because it's right next to the hole in the rock.
I had another 3 days off this week for my husband's birthday. We didn't do anything spectacular but we did go house hunting. Hey, what can I say ,it's what he wanted to do. We found a cute little house right down the street from our apartment that has been vacant for almost a year...sounds about right for us. It is a 3 bedroom 2 bath with a pool...we'll see what happens.
Work has been frustrating because we still have our doctor's father. I feel badly for the doc...trying so hard to keep dad comfortable. We have been having some staffing issues...people not showing up for their shift and late call offs. Sometimes it can't be avoided...and I prefer if you call instead of not showing up at all or coming in and then leaving because you don't feel well. You know you don't feel well when you get up so, just take the points or the attitude from the staffing people and call. Don't, don't, don't think you will feel better once you get to work because you will just end up going home and leaving everyone in a worse position.
I have to ask...how many people will go into work if the staffing office calls you and asks you to come in? Does it depend on how you feel? How much they beg? Do you even answer the phone? Would you be more likely to say yes if they called you the night before if you are a dayshift person? When is a good time to call a nightshift person to come in? How likely are you to stay a couple of extra hours if you are already at work and the next shift is short?
Here's my position. I will pick up extra days when it is convenient for me...not 4 in a row or more ...don't even ask me if I have been there for more than 2 days in a row. Call me the night before if you have an idea...I will most likely not come in if you call and wake my butt up at 5:30 am and ask me to come in. Now, when I was working agency, that was the norm, I had to wait for them to call and tell me where I was going to work that day so I was up anyway. It also depends on my wallet...and how much cash I need. What's your take on it? Just wondering.
Remember first do no harm.

1 comment:

JLeonard said...

Well when I was traveling, I was a mercenary. SO yeah i'd go in at a moments call.