Monday, May 05, 2008

Happy Nurses Week

Well, it's that time again. Nurses week, it used to be a day...now it's a week. The hospitals usually give you some free food and some free stuff and say they appreciate us. I think about god old Florence, she did it because she cared about people and wanted to make them feel better when they were sick and hurting. I'll bet her patients were mighty grateful for every little thing she did for them. Her nursing was about fluffing the pillows and keeping them clean, dry and warm. Have we lost sight of that somewhere along the way? Some days it seems like nurses just come to work to see their friends and check their email or surf the Internet. Some days it's like we are there just to pass out pills and food. This May 6th (Florence's birthday) I am going to honor her by wearing all white. I try everyday to be the best nurse I can be to my patients. Looking back, yeah there was a time in my career that I cared more about seeing my friends than taking care of my patients. Traveling has helped to cure a lot of that, when I start somewhere I don't have any friends to worry about. I focus a lot more on my patients needs than what the other nurses did over the weekend. I think that's what it's about. Being the best nurse you can be, every day, like Florence did. Have a great nurses week!
Non Noc Nocere

No comments: