Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Marathon for computer charting

Well, I made it. We are the last of the Banner hospitals in Arizona to go live with their computer charting. I worked the whole first week. Since I used the system before I got to be a "super user" and spent the last 3 days of last week helping the nurses find their way. I have a new appreciation for those of you who know how to type, even just a little. The hardest part was helping to teach those who don't use a computer at home on a regular basis. If you have to study the key board to find the letters, you should have practiced. If you cannot click and drag, you should have practiced. If you cannot scroll without clicking your mouse a bazilion times, you should have practiced.
The biggest thing I learned, a new tool doesn't change old bad habits. If you want to pull all your meds for all your patients for the whole day, you'll still find a way to do it, even with a newer better system. If you didn't check the meds against the mar and check the name band before you gave them before we got computer charting...you won't now.
All I can do is never let my family members go to the hospital or stay in the hospital alone.
Non noc nocere.

No comments: