Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Another day in RI

Hey there it’s another great day in Rhode Island the sun is actually shining today. But I have to work tonight so I slept most of the day. That’s the down side to working nights. Some people can stay up all day and just get a few hours of sleep before they go to work…unfortunately I’m not one of them. Rhode Island Hospital is a 719 bed hospital in Providence. It spans 3 different buildings, the Jane Brown building, the main hospital and the COOP with the COOP being the newest. I of course am working in all three, but mostly in the oldest part which is the Jane Brown. I still haven’t been able to find out who she was and why she has a building named after her. With Brown University being in Rhode Island I am quite sure there is some connection I’m just not sure what it is. (Can anyone help me out here?) How about why the patient gowns are called Johnnies…no seriously the patients and the staff call them Johnnies…it’s even in the hospital literature and policy and procedure books. And while we are on the subject…there are no sub sandwiches here there are grinders. Why grinder? And sprinkles on ice cream are called Jimmies…who are these guys? I chalk it up to “New Englandese” because no one can seem to give me an answer where these terms came from. Every part of the country has their own little things like these..anyone have any to share? Thanks for reading…remember first do no harm.

2 comments:

JLeonard said...

Greetings from Norwich CT. Also a travler, from Mississippi. Love your blog thus far. If you want to check mine out. Also would like to talk to you about your agency.

http://jleonardrn.blogspot.com

TravelingNurse said...

Well hey there J. nice to see someone is reading what I write. Your blog is great...everyone should go there and see your pictures. I love being a traveling nurse and I hope that you will continue to travel to see all the great places in the country. It would be great to discuss travel companies with you.