Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Happy Nurses Week

Thought you all might get a kick out of this picture. We often talk about the Jesus bus coming to get our patients, but how often do we actually see it? I hope when mine comes it's in a little better shape! I thought I would write about the good parts of nursing and leave the dark side for a while.
Nursing has been a great career. I have been able to travel to some really awesome places. I've ridden a horse in Rocky Mountain National Park. I've stayed in a little cabin by a river in Estes Park Colorado. I've picked shells off the beach in Maine at sunrise which was breathtaking. I've driven on Daytona Beach and seen all the bikers during Bike week. I've para sailed over a beautiful Florida lake. I've seen cactus wrapped in Christmas lights. I've watched sea lions play in the Pacific. I've watched hot air balloons hover over the hospital in Napa. And I've watched the full circle season of the grape vines, from dry looking twigs to lush green to harvest.
I have met some of the best people. I wish I had the space to name each one. So many have made the extra effort to make me feel at home in their cities and hospitals. I wish I could put all my favorite nurses to work with together on one unit, then I might actually take another staff position. All of my friends from Hillcrest Hospital in Mayfield Hts Ohio, Florida Hospital Orlando,Mercy Southwest in Bakersfield,Good Samaritan in Phoenix and The Queen of the Valley in Napa. I am especially glad to have met all of my traveler friends, they have given me some good tips over the years.
I have seen some interesting patients and disease processes. I never would have known about Valley Fever if I hadn't gone west of the Mississippi. I have seen patients who had robot assisted coronary bypass surgery, never thought I'd see that. I've taken care of inmates in a locked unit, never thought I'd ever do that either.
All in all ,I think without travel nursing I wouldn't be this happy. I want to thank my mother and my sister for inspiring me to become a good nurse like them. I want to tell everyone how proud I am of my niece who started out as a CVICU nurse.She is now getting her masters and is helping to run a pain clinic. She does it all, works, goes to school and has 2 beautiful children to take care of. I have no idea how she does it. Just amazing.
Lots of days, if I take them by themselves, I would tell you how much I dislike my job. The day to day stuff is hard to do, in some places more so than others. But, if you look at it over all, it's not a bad life. Thanks Florence, nursing is nothing like it was when you were alive. I wonder if she is glad when she looks down to see what it's become?
Anyway, I hope everyone of you has a great nurses week. I hope you get massages and get fed and get presents, maybe even a little extra in your check. Maybe you'll even get that rogue card in the mail from someone who remembers that it's nurses week.
Remember first do no harm.

1 comment:

JLeonard said...

Hey,,,send me an email and I will send you your questions.

jimfrmtn@yahoo.com