Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Nurses week gifts


Tell me what things your company or hospital has done for you for nurses week. My current travel company sent me a plastic light that attaches to the bell of my stethoscope. I am unsure of the purpose, I don't remember finding a heart beat with a light before...maybe I'll give it a try (lol). I think it might be for checking pupils, perhaps they are encouraging me to multitask and check them as I am headed to the chest to check the heart beat all in one sweeping motion. Can you picture it? Maybe it would work if the patient would hold their eyes open with their fingers for you... aahhhh, that's funny.
Oh, and I got another one of those stretchy thingys to hang my badge from. They always seems to turn my name and my face around. No matter how many times I turn it so my face can be seen, someone is always asking my name and when I look down to see if maybe they can't read,I see that my badge has once again turned around to face me. Maybe it's trying to rub off that awful picture I took, nah, couldn't be just a design flaw I'm sure.
So, my last day at work was much better. I still got an admission but, only one. Last week when I worked I didn't think I would make it through the shift. My night started out with one patient asking for pain meds, one alzheimers patient, and one with a heart rate of 170. I asked the nurse who had given me report how long the patients heart rate had been high, she said she couldn't remember but they had been telling her that it was high. She said she was just really busy. At least she called the doctor before she left. I went and told the charge nurse, so maybe she could come and help me, but she just said oh,ok. So, I gave the cardizem bolus, the charge nurse looked at me crazy when I asked her to keep an eye on the monitor for me while I was giving it. Reluctantly she turned the monitor on at the nurses station and sat back down. Then it was every 3 hours dilaudid for one patient with zofran in between. She was going for surgery in the morning so I had the check list to do and she was going to have an insulin gtt after midnight as well. So, there's two drips. I have an alzheimers patient who's lungs sound awful. I got her a breathing treatment, then the GI doc comes in and says she needs Mag citrate so she can get a PEG in the morning. I was a little confused, but, she couldn't drink it...dysphagia, so I had to put down an NG. Plus I had 3 other patients, luckily they were pretty stable. I mentioned to the charge nurse that I was having a hard time and she said oh I know isn't it busy? And walked away. Finally, at midnight ,when I was just about to lose it completely, she appeared and said she had come to help me and ,by the way, she was giving me an admission. Yeah, it was a fun night. Then last time I worked I got called into the asst mgrs office because the charge nurse from the other night had written me up. She wrote me up for giving iv dilaudid that was ordered for my patient because we are supposed to try p.o. first. The patient had refused the p.o. but I didn't chart it, apparently it warrants charting at this facility. I said the nurse before me told me she had tried p.o. but the patient had refused but, I guess we have to chart that they refused every shift...what a pain in the butt...that's the stuff that makes me hate nursing...it slows me down.

Nothing else for nurses week, just a card from my sister the nurse. She always remembers to send a card. Hope yours was a good one.

Remember first do no harm

1 comment:

JLeonard said...

hate that your last night was so terrible. Of course it just goes to illustrate yet again why I dont work the floor. Give me ER or ICU anytime. Where are you off to next? Jim